Friday, April 06, 2018

Traducir el silencio/Translating silence, by Manuel Iris, Published in New York






I am very happy to tell you that “Translating Silence/Traducir el silencio”, a bilingual anthology of my poems, and very my first book in the United States, just came out of the press, and it is already available for purchase.

The book includes a wonderful prologue penned by the Colombian poet Armando Romero, and the English and Spanish versions of poems from my books “Cuaderno de los sueños/ Notebook of dreams” and “Los disfraces del fuego/ The disguises of fire”. Both of these books were awarded and published originally in Mexico. I have also included a group of poems that have never been published.

The English versions of the poems were written mainly by me. During this process, I have tried not to translate, but to write the poems in English as if it was the first time they were written. I let myself be guided by the rhythm of the new language. After this second writing phase, the help of my wife, Claudia Velez, and my friends Pat Brennan and the poet Wendy Erin Braun has been invaluable. The poet and scholar Matt McBride is the main translator of the Notebook of dreams, although his versions have been reviewed by me, and those I mentioned previously.

I need to thank my publishing house, Artepoética Press Inc.and its director Carlos Aguasaco, for always supporting the work of Hispanic poets in the US.
Of course, there will be poetry readings in Cincinnati and other US cities. I will let you know the dates and times very soon.

I am excited and nervous: I feel like I am publishing for the first time, all over again.
Cheers to poetry, my friends! Cheers!




...................



Estoy feliz de poder platicarles que “Traducir el silencio/Translating silence”, una antología bilingüe de mis poemas y mi primer libro en Estados Unidos, acaba de salir de imprenta.

El libro incluye un prólogo escrito por el poeta colombiano Armando Romero, y las versiones en inglés de poemas de mis libros “Cuaderno de los sueños” y “Los disfraces del fuego”, además de otros que nunca habían sido publicados como conjunto.

Las versiones inglesas han sido escritas principalmente por mí. Durante este proceso he intentado no traducir sino escribir en inglés los poemas como si fuera la primera vez que se escriben. Me he dejado guiar por el ritmo del nuevo idioma. Por supuesto, luego de esta fase de segunda escritura la ayuda de mi esposa, Claudia Velez, y de mis amigos Pat Brennan y la poeta Wendy Braun ha sido invaluable.  El poeta y académico Matt McBride es el principal traductor del Cuaderno de los sueños, aunque sus versiones han sido revisadas por mí, y la gente que antes mencioné.

Debo agradecer a mi casa editorial, Artepoetica Press, y a su director Carlos Aguasaco, por su apoyo al trabajo de los poetas hispanos en Estados Unidos.

Por supuesto, ya tendremos lecturas y presentaciones en Cincinnati y en otras partes de Estados Unidos. Yo les iré diciendo oportunamente.

Estoy emocionado y nervioso: siento como si publicara de nuevo por primera vez.

No comments:

"Los disfraces del fuego" tiene segunda edición, ahora en Ecuador

  Queridos amigos, me alegra mucho decirles que mi libro “Los disfraces del fuego”, que fue publicado en México hace uños años y ahora está ...